The Calgary Branch of the UELAC was formed on February 28, 1928. Meetings were held at the Board of Trade building in Calgary. Original membership fees were $1. Initially the branch may have operated separately from the UELAC.
The first slate of officers included:
Honourary Presidents: Lt. General Sir Archibald Campbell Macdonell and Hon. Richard Bedford Bennett.
President: Lewis Frederick Clarry K.C.
First vice-president: Dr. George William Kerby
Second vice-president: Mrs. M. L. Bowen
Treasurer: Mr. Arthur Maybee
Secretary: Miss A. E. Freeland
Council: Mrs. Dauncy, Mrs. Bullough, Mr. Fowler, Mr. Patrick, Mr. Clifford Jones K.C.
The Calgary Herald carried announcements for the formation and initial meeting.