Col. Edward Jessup Branch
The Col. Edward Jessup Branch of the UELAC was formed to commemorate the sacrifice, patriotic military service, loyal administrative ability and empire-building far-sightedness, of one of the greatest U.E.L. patriots to participate in the loyal exodus of faithful British subjects to Canada after the American Revolutionary War, in order that they might remain under the Union Flag and maintain its type of representative government. To this cause Colonel Jessup sacrificed his 500,000 acre American estate. He was a Major commanding The Loyal Rangers 1781 - 1784, and continued in that rank until 1788, when he was made a Lt.-Colonel, Commandant of Militia. He personally promoted the settlement of Leeds, Grenville. Addington, and almost as far west as Adolphustown. Founded the town of Prescott in 1810.
The Col. Edward Jessup Branch is especially representative of U.E. Loyalists in the area from Gananoque on the west to Cornwall on the east, with active headquarters in the area.
The Branch conducts and participates in a number of heritage events each year.
Contact the branch by email to email@example.com.
For more information about the Loyalists, our sister branches and UELAC, visit www.uelac.org or use the menu to the left.
Our internet service provider was recently acquired and in the process of merging, our website without notice disappeared.
Excuse us while we rebuild, and thanks for bearing with us while we determine the best way forward.
Watch this space for updates.
What the Colonel Edward Jessup Branch is doing this summer and fall.
July 17th to 19th, 2015
The Athens 36th Annual Farmersville Exhibition and Steam Fair will be held at this time and we will be having our UEL booth there only on the Saturday and Sunday. Our booth will be set up in the Arena with the craft booths. Please come and join us or just stop by and say hello.
Saturday August 22nd, 2015
We will also be at the 6th Annual Mallorytown Village Fair again this year. This is a fun day with many craft booths, children's games, local music all day and food booths.
September 14, 2015
Our Joint Meeting with the Leeds & Grenville Genealogical Society will be held at the Brockville Museum at 7:30 pm. Our guest speaker will be Denis Jones. NOTE this meeting has been held in November in the past but the speaker can only come in September so we changed it this year.
Denis Jones, Treasurer, Charter Member & Past Chair of the Irish Palatine Special Interest Group of OGS. Denis descends from the early Prescott families of John Lawrence, who married Margaret Switzer (widow of Philip Embury) and also John Dulmage, who married Sophia Heck. Denis will tell the Irish Palatine story. His talk is titled “A Pictorial History: the Irish Palatine Journey to Upper Canada 1709-1784.” The talk (with photos) will cover some of the history of the Irish Palatines, including the following topics:
- The Palatinate (Rhine Valley, Germany) leading into the early 1700s
- Palatines to London
- 1709 decision to split into 2 groups (one to Ireland, the other to the 13 Colonies)
- Irish Palatine settlements in Rathkeale (Co Limerick, Ireland)
- John Wesley presence in the Irish IP settlements (1750s)
- New York City (1760s) - the introduction of Methodism to North America by Irish Palatines arrival of Irish Palatines in Upper Canada post American Revolution
- A few early churches in Upper Canada (Nappanee, Prescott)
- Some monuments in Upper Canada to Irish Palatines & the Irish Palatine Association and its museum in present day Rathkeale
Denis has given this talk (or a version thereof) several times, most recently at the OGS conference in Barrie.
October 17th, 2015
We have booked the Grenville Snowmobile Club, 4901 Charleville Rd., Prescott, for our Charter fall meeting. The guest speaker has not been confirmed yet.
- President: Barbara law – firstname.lastname@example.org; 613-498-1046
- Past President: Myrtle Johnston – email@example.com; 613-924-2928
- Vice President: Gary Jessup – firstname.lastname@example.org; 1-613-699-4702
- Secretary: Don Clunas – email@example.com; 613-925-3869
- Treasurer: Roy Lewis – firstname.lastname@example.org; 613-924-7189
- Genealogist: Myrtle Johnston – email@example.com; 613-924-2928
- Membership/Archives: Barb Law – firstname.lastname@example.org; 613-498-1046
- Newsletter: Roy Lewis – email@example.com; 613-924-7189
- Director: Ann Carr – firstname.lastname@example.org; 613-925-4930
- Director: Lorna Johnston – email@example.com; 613-924-2883